Sunday, March 13, 2011

MA POULE

Pet chickens sunning in the chicken run at Claude Monet's gardens in Giverny.


Vocabulary
une poule: hen; mistress (slang)
se lever avec les poules: to be an early riser
se coucher avec les poules: to go to bed early
quand les poules auront des dents: when hell freezes over
ma poule: term of affection
ça roule ma poule: okey-doke
une poule mouillée: coward, literally a wet chicken
un poulet: chicken; police officer, cop (slang)
mon petit poulet: my little chicken (affectionate)
un poulailler: chicken run
une poulette: pullet; (my) love or pet

Delicious
Click on Ah Si Vous Connaissiez Ma Poule interpreted by Maurice Chevalier, 1938

N.B: Certain regions in France are noted for the quality of their chicken production: Sud-Ouest, Landes, Loué, Mayenne, Gers, Challans, but the most choice of all is the "poulet de Bresse."



Text & photo ©2011 P.B. Lecron

3 comments:

  1. Hey so many of these phrases also work in English and Dutch! But not the mistress ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received such nice compliments on this photo from the people at My Pet Chicken, www.MyPetChicken.com. They might even use it for an upcoming newsletter with my permission! Thanks for the email, Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Patti, you should send us many more pics of chicken , I would like to read more about it thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete